since she wanted it for the kids to paint in i thought pulling fabric out of my extensive stash would defeat the purpose as wet, messy, paint crafts might soak thru...instantly i thought of using an outdoor vinyl tablecloth...brillant!
i went to homegoods and found one for about 6 dollars in a print that could be for boys or girls and set out to make some new craft aprons...
i made a pattern using the original thin, flimsy, apron and traced it onto the vinyl tablecloth:
tracing pattern (i cut it on the fold)
pattern traced out
for the trim and ties i used one package of double fold bias tape...for the neck strap i cut a rectangle from the tablecloth...you can use all sorts of colors for the bias tape...since these were for boys, i used navy blue for one and lime green for the other:
side view of waist ties
apron 2 side view of waist ties
these took maybe 20 - 30 minutes to make...and i have tons of tablecloth leftover...i think these would be cute for a kid's birthday party if you were doing painting and they could double as the party favor...appliqueing each child's first initial on the front would be really neat too...there are lots of options with these craft aprons.