Friday, March 18, 2011

transformations ~ end table

way back when we cleared out my grandparent's house there were a couple pieces of furniture that NO ONE wanted...it was all nice quality solid (but really ugly) wood so i couldn't part with it...everything went to my parent's attic and slowly i've found uses for the different pieces...

most recently we needed an end table beside the sofa in the downstairs den at the mountain house...here's what i chose from the attic stash:
lovely, huh?

the top was in bad shape

i am not a fan of wood appliques 

and the door pulls were maybe the ugliest i'd ever seen!


the inside is spacious...great for storing board games and such

my vision + the husband's talent:

after taking off the doors/hinges and magnet closure, the piece was sanded with a random orbit sander

the top already looks better!

on the doors we removed the applique and the raised middle panel along with the pulls


a coat of white primer is always a necessity!



finished product:
i chose a red paint to blend with the oriental rug
the husband painted the table inside and out

i am very happy with the doors...when we figured out the raised panel could be removed, i was ecstatic


the ceramic knobs are from worldmarket
moral of this story: always think outside the box and never judge a book by it's cover!             

7 comments:

Stefanie said...

Wow, what a difference a fresh coat of paint makes. Lovely!!

Punchbugpug said...

I LOVE it!!! Of course you know red is my fav color!

Swampgirl said...

Well done! I sure did not see that coming!!

Sandy said...

That is amazing. You and the husband do great work!

CyberCyster said...

Wow! I am so impressed. It's like a completely new piece of furniture. I love making old things new again.

Leah said...

That is amazing!! World Market is one of my favorite stores!

Lindsey @ Better After said...

Awwwww, super cute! I love the happy little knobbie! :)