Thursday, March 31, 2011

kaboom*

*that's the sound of my head exploding!

the great debate (amongst me, myself & i) has raged for going on 48 hours now in regards to an e-reader:
  • do i NEED one?
  • would i like reading off of one?
  • which ONE?
kindle vs. nook vs. various and sundry other choices

i don't do well with too many choices...

if i got a kindle, would i get the kindle + wi-fi  OR the kindle + 3g wi-fi (i don't even know what that means...)

if i got a kindle, i couldn't check out e-books from our library (e-pub isn't supported on kindle)...and i'm all about checking books out from the library

I could get a nook...cause it does support the e-pub format...

but...

there are 3/THREE nooks to choose from: nookcolor, nook wi-fi or nook 3g wi-fi (i still don't know what that means)

but: everyone i know has a kindle...and they are all about their kindle

and i haven't even really researched all the various and sundry other choices 

an i-pad is out.of.the.question

has YOUR head exploded yet?

i need some ibuprofen...
~k

7 comments:

Punchbugpug said...

my boss and a friend both have the nook color...they love them.....I'm with you - it's all VERY confusing....

Pam said...

I don't think the 3G is really necessary if you have access to WiFi. You'd only need it to download what you wanted and then from there you don't need it. Maybe I'm missing something about the 3G but that's my understanding. You just need to go to Best Buy and "test drive" them. ;)

Carolyn said...

I bought my mom the kindle 3g. She loves it(and I do too!), but the 3G is completely unneccessary. Unless you find yourself needing to buy books while laying on the beach, the regular should be just fine. As long as you have wireless at home, save the $50 and spend it on the books. And I'd think about the nook because of the E-pub. My library doesn't check out to kindle, either. I sort of hate paying for ALL my books. I don't mind the occasional one, but all of them? Not so much..

Good luck and have fun!!

Magnolia Sun said...

I have the 3G Kindle, the other options you have to use a wire to connect to your computer in order to download. I like having the 3g in case I'm anywhere and I finish a book and want to get another one. The 3g works like cell phones from what I understand. Also my new cell phone has a kindle app so I can read my book on my phone through the kindle app - I know so confusing and I don't know how it knows what page I'm on!

Sandy said...

I just bought the husband the Kindle Wi-fi. He loves it. I thought he'd never go for a e-reader, but he actually asked for it for his birthday. I have the 3G and love it, too. I bet that Kindle will come out with a way to do the library lending, but I'm not sure.

Stefanie said...

I don't understand the difference, either. One has more storage (?) I have a library card. I'm all about free books. A friend of mine just got a Kindle and was very disappointed to find out you couldn't share books with other Kindle users like you can with a Nook.
I'm anxious to see what you decide. Maybe you'll convince me I need an e-reader, too.

kristie said...

stefanie, good point about the sharing function! i'll reveal my decision this week.