Thursday, February 3, 2011

a new career path, perhaps...

on sunday i wanted to start and finish a quick project...so i proceeded to make my 'go to' instant gratification project: a pillow cover...

 and here is the finished product
~love bird~

i just ripped and ruffled some paisley fabric that i love and sewed it onto some muslin

and 'appliqued' on a little blue bird and felt heart

i like pillow covers because they take up very little space when you aren't using them and allow you to change out your pillows seasonally...

~love bird~ is going to stay on the kitchen bench thru spring!

BUT

just after i finished appliqueing the birdie on i thought he needed some tail feathers...so i dropped the feed dogs on the machine and was going to attempt some free motion 'quilting' type of action to make some loopy tail feathers...

the feed dogs dropped...and the machine locked up...and i could do NOTHING to make it work again...the feed dogs wouldn't come back up...nothing. nothing at all was happening...

clearly the pillow was complete...~love bird~ wasn't getting any tail feathers..and i was machineless...

panic set in

i stewed the remained of sunday and all day monday because the authorized service center in my area is closed on sunday and monday lucky me

tuesday i called and was told it would be a minimum of $89, possibly $149 (more if parts were needed) to fix it...which is more than i paid for the machine...

i spent the remainder of tuesday googling everything i could think of to try to figure out what was wrong with my machine and how i could maybe fix it myself...there is nothing regarding a brotherxr7700 on the entire world wide web in case you were wondering

figuring i had absolutely nothing to lose, i decided to take matters into my own crafty and capable hands and i did this:

  oh yes i did!

i carefully removed every screw i could find...pried the sucker apart...and went to town...

obviously i am a bad sewer who doesn't take care of her machine...i removed all the dust and lint...diagnosed the feed dog situation...put it back like i thought it should be...

reinserted all the screws that i'd carefully layed out in the order they needed to go back...turned the machine on...AND

 it worked! 

take THAT sewing machine repair people!

please note: i am confident this spring that fell out from who knows where is not important...not important at all...yep, it was probably just for looks! 

~k




5 comments:

Pam said...

I am beyond laughing right now. Only because I would have done the exact same thing....and have. We sew fleece a lot in my crafting groups and my machine gets all kinds of gunked up. I've found that those cans of air help quite a bit too. and the spring, I'm sure it was definitely decorative. spring-shming. You know, the sewing machine is probably one of the sure things that makes me cuss more than anything.

Loving the pillow. It looks so happy and colorful.

*kate said...

You. Are. Brave!

And those pillows are inspiring. I don't know why I've been putting off recovering my pillows for over a year ...

Stefanie said...

What a great post! I probably would've fixed it myself, too. Funny how easy we can do things ourselves if we just try!

AM said...

That pillow is AWESOME. Add those to your shop!

Swampgirl said...

HA! HA! That is so funny! My repair man told me he needs to take mine apart every 6 months to remove lint! Love the ruffles and bird!!!