Friday, September 10, 2010

sew and tell friday ~ getting a jump on halloween

since last monday was a holiday i decided to whip up a little halloween apron to wear when handing out candy to the trick or treaters...i've been meaning to make a halloween apron for at least 2 years now but just never got around to it...so i thought: day off + halloween fabric = apron in about a couple of hours. famous.last.words.  this apron gave me all sorts of fits...probably because i made the entire thing up in my head...after 4 full days of fits and starts here's what i've got:

overall i'm happy with it...


the criss cross 'halter top' pretty much sucked the life out of me (i suppose that's appropriate given the theme)

 i will award myself bonus points for using fabric solely from my stash...


i like the mix of prints and the vintage plaid (from my grandmother's stash)

lessons learned this week:
  • never think something will take 'a couple of hours'
  • a pattern designer i am not
  • measure twice cut once
  • pin, pin, pin
  • start with ample thread on your bobbin
on the craft room makeover front:
things are starting to happen...

maybe the total and complete disarray is what caused the apron making to go so wrong...there is definitely no feng shui going on in this room!

go visit amy's sew and tell friday for some weekend sewing inspiration!

~k

20 comments:

Emily said...

I LOVE the apron. You are so talented!!!! You are going to be so cute handing out candy.. please have hubby take pictures so we can see you all dressed up for the big day!

KQuiltyBee said...

really great finish despite all the lessons learned--nice finish

Shana said...

That is so awesome. I love it!

Leslie said...

this is so cute...i love it

Sarcastic Quilter said...

I think this is a fantastic idea and I can truly appreciate your lessons learned this week. hehe

Kera said...

Love this apron!

Pam said...

SUPER cute!!

P. said...

That is just adorable! I love the mix of grandma's vintage fabric and new. It is just uber cute!

Haylee said...

Fun Fun Fun. I love the ruffles.

p.s.phyllis sews said...

You did a great job! That's a really fancy apron! Lessons learned were cute and that's seam rippers are for - to teach us lots of lessons!

Caroline ~ TrilliumDesign said...

so cute!! I need to make myself one of these!

TheBlackForrist said...

super cute! live the ruffles!

Karen said...

Your apron looks great!!!! Love the ruffles around the bottom.

Hollie said...

I love the apron! It's adorable!

Nina... said...

I love it! Very festive and Halloweenie!

Swampgirl said...

Love it! I think I have some of that same fabric in my stash. On Labor Day I worked on a Halloween tablecloth out of fabric scraps. I didn't get done...thought it would take a couple hours...6 hours and counting!!!

Michelle said...

Your apron is gorgeous! I disagree; I think you are a pattern designer. No one who designs from scratch gets it right without trial and error. Your efforts certainly paid off.

I think it was Thomas Edison who said something to the effect: "I've never failed. I've just learned 10,000 ways things won't work." Lot of truth in that.

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

Very cute! And kudos for using from your stash:) I think you are a designer!

Carla said...

How pretty! It's girly and perfect for Halloween. Thanks for the inspiration.

amylouwho said...

i love the Halloween fabrics as accents instead of the main fabric. that black and white plaid rocks!