Friday, June 4, 2010

sew and tell friday ~ seaside pillows

i spent most of my long memorial day weekend cleaning out the craft room...and it was b.o.r.i.n.g....so on monday i decided that i HAD to create something and it needed to be quick...think 'instant gratification' quick...

i had also spent some time taking down my spring decorations (birds, nests, stuff like that) and started putting up my summer decorations (fish, shells, stuff like that)...i have 3 pillows in the kitchen window seat and i like to change them out seasonally...BUT constantly buying new pillows to match my current decor gets $$ and the pillows themselves take up a LOT of space when not in use...and storage space is something our house ain't got...sooooo i came up with a brilliant idea: pillow covers!  they would be free (using stuff in my stash) and won't take up a lot of space as they will fold flat and fit in a drawer when not in use...

in keeping with my summer decorations theme i designed 3 appliqued pillow covers:

seahorse, fish and whale!

i used the blanket stitch (?) on my machine to attach each applique


the back is a simple envelope style opening that i zigzagged for some pizzazz

each applique is stitched on with a different color

the buffalo check and the plaid fabric i found in my grandmother's stash a couple of years ago

i used some kona solids for the backs

the little whale one i did first and it took maybe 30 minutes total...i made the other two over 2 nights this week...a great simple project!

and in keeping with my toss, toss, toss theme in the craft room...here is proof that i'm trying:

this was a scrap of blue kona left over from the backs...and i threw it away!


and let me tell you, it took every fiber of my being to do that*...that's a big scrap...i could totally make something out of it ;-)

have a great weekend and be sure to stop by amy's for lots of great sew and tell project links from very creative and inspiring people!

~k
*it's still in the trash can...i could go get it out...i'm thinking about it...i need help, lol

13 comments:

Sparrow Bee said...

ooh love the whale! cute as... thanks for visiting my blog ♥

Jan said...

Those appliques really give the plaids a punch!

Sarah said...

Cute pillows. I love scrappy/string quilts and sadly don't have many scraps so, if yo wanted to send that scrap my way I wouldn't complain! ;)

Kristen said...

I'd love to make a string quilt too. Save your strips you want to throw away and have a giveaway. Or just keep a flat rate postage box in the craft room and send it to someone who wants leftover strips. Maybe they will trade for a couple of new fat quarters? :)

Diane said...

Love those pillows! and that scrap looks pretty nice.... I fight the same urge to keep anything bigger than a 2x2 square. and those little triangle from then end of binding taunt me ... keep me, keep me..

Sew It Up Baby! said...

What a great idea to just make new covers for the cushions. You have inspired me to rethink some decor in my home. Love the whale!

You have some will power because I would of just put it in my stash bag... I want to go and grab it out of your trash can!

Leslie said...

these are fun...great applique

Jen Poe said...

Very adorable! My future step daughter loves ocean and sea stuff - I think she's secretly part mermaid - and something like this would be right up her alley!

I can relate to the tossing thing. I have been really struggling with "How small of a scrap is too small to worry about stashing away for later?" I was trying to find organization in my sewing area yesterday (didn't succeed as of yet...) and I clenched my teeth trying to toss some things that I might never use... But it remained in my head "..I COULD! But probably won't... But I coooouuuld..." And inevitably accept that I should just chuck it if I was so unsure whether it was worth keeping! HARD to do!

Karen said...

Nothing like a bit of sewing gratificationthat turns out so excellent. I find it hard to let go too but I have been trying too.

pinksuedeshoe said...

Haha! I totally don't throw anything away unless it is smaller than a paperclip. Really. I'm a mess :o) Love that little whale pillow, it's my fav.

*kate said...

They are all very cute, but I *love* the whale.

Michelle said...

I have to agree with *kate, the whale is my favorite ;)

Miri said...

Cute pillows-I really like the solid appliques against the plaid fabric-love the zig zag finish on the back-great idea!

I go back and forth...throwing out scraps, then keeping scraps. Now I'm keeping-I got a set of those plastic drawers on wheels just for scraps. It doesn't take up much room in my sewing room.