Friday, April 30, 2010

sew and tell ~ twirly skirt



remember when i got all that fabric from AM?  well i finally got up the nerve to cut into it (i like to buy, look at and pet fabric...but not cut it...i'm weird...but you already knew that)...here's the first of several pieces of AM and i have planned for emma:


a twirly skirt from one yard wonders
(the fabric is alexander henry bauhaus that AM found in the fantabulous fabric market over there in seoul)

it was really simple and easy to make...the hardest part is making the bias tape (and you can skip that part and buy pre-made if you want)...BUT while making the bias tape i suddenly remembered that i had recently ordered an entire SET of bias tape makers off of ebay...duh! so i went into the deep abyss, junk hole, craft room and dug them up...all i can say is: wow!...if you've never used a bias tape maker you don't know what you are missing...for reals, i could make bias tape all day now...i loved making the bias tape

i also made the little piping that sandwiches between the gathered skirt and the yoke...but you could buy some of that pre-made too...

now i just have to ship it over the seas and cross my fingers that it fits...i have some ideas of how to modify this pattern a wee bit and have more ruffles...word on the street is that emma likes ruffles...

be sure to go visit the other sew and tell links listed on amy's blog (congrats to amy and family on their new arrival!)

have a great weekend!
~k

21 comments:

Sandy said...

That skirt is going to be so sweet on Emma!

Fresh Poppy Sisters said...

Super cute skirt!

Lizzy @ Lizzy Designs said...

No way, that's a beautiful skirt! Well done. :)

Michelle said...

What an adorable skirt!

And I don't think you're weird about saving and petting fabric. I have few saved and petted fabrics myself. :-)

Leslie said...

this is adorable

Mary said...

Cute skirt! I really do need to break down and buy a bias tape maker one of these days :-)

TheBlackForrist said...

hahaha, pet fabric... we have that in common! I LOVE this fabric. the skirt is adorable! I'll keep my fingers crossed that it arrives safely in Emma's hands!

Karen said...

So cute!!!!!

trish said...

What an adorable little skirt! :o)
I know what you mean about cutting into fabric. I just started quilting a little while back and will purchase fabric and end up staring at it for the longest time.
Sincerely ~ Tricia

KQuiltyBee said...

Such a cute skirt. Glad to know those bias tape makers work!

Swampgirl said...

Love the skirt! I have finished some ruffle pants for Emma! Am going to mail them on Monday and really hope they fit!!!

manuela said...

That is reallu fantastic fabric, what a great find. Perfect for this cute skirt!

everydaychaos said...

This is a beautiful skirt. I love the fabric and all of the little details. It looks so sophisticated.

Pam said...

just adorable!!

AM said...

Oh my gosh! I LOOOOOVE it! Wow, I had forgotten what fabrics I had bought, and that one is AWESOME!!! WOW. You did such a great job! She is going to LOOOVE that.

Dayna said...

Ooooo! I like this!

pinksuedeshoe said...

Oh this is just cute, nice job.

Catherine said...

This is an adorable skirt. If you want more ruffles Anna Maria Horner's book "Seams to me" has a gorgeous skirt in it with layers of ruffles on the back. I have issues with cutting up fabric I've just bought too so can totally relate to this.

Rene' said...

Cute skirt! Thanks for sharing!

Magnolia Sun said...

It will look so cute on her, still amazed by your talent!

Kristen said...

Cute! My girls would love this. I need to check out that book!