Tuesday, April 27, 2010

reading is FUNdamental...

for whatever reason i'm on a tear with reading lately...i'm currently on my 28th (!) book this year...if you saw the state of our house you'd say 'put the book down and vacuum the floors'...anyways, the last five books i've read have merited a post on their own (you can always see mini book reviews by clicking on the 'books i've read 2010' link on the right hand side...and clearly i need to update them....which will happen as soon as i can put the 28th book down)

in our local sunday paper there are always a couple of book reviews and ads for local independent type bookstores listing upcoming author visits...about a month ago i saw a review for the new book by an author out of asheville, nc - sarah addison allen - that sounded right up my alley so i quickly put all of her books in my library request queue and read them in about a week...her books are: garden spells, the sugar queen, and the girl who chased the moon...i LOVED these books, especially garden spells...i quickly convinced pam to read them and i think she will agree with me that they are a must read for anyone who enjoys southern fiction, women's fiction or fiction with a wee tad touch of mystery/magic...

after polishing off those three novels i finally got notice from the library (i was 400 something in line for it when i first requested it back in february) that saving cee cee honeycutt was waiting for me...i'd heard on good authority from both sandy and mary kay andrews that beth hoffman's debut novel was really good...oh and how right they were! i read it in probably 2.5 days...could.not.put.it.down...run get this book and read it yesterday! this book has GOT to be made into a move and ms. hoffman has GOT to write another book...in 1967 tragedy strikes young ceecee and she is whisked away to savannah by her great aunt tootie to live amongst a variety of eccentric southern belles...by the end of the summer ceecee finds herself a changed person...

in the same vein as saving ceecee honeycutt, another debut novel, the help takes place in the deep, rural south during the tumultuous 1960s at the height of racial tension and tells the story of skeeter phelan and a group of black domestics (aka, the help) who band together to try and make a difference...kathryn stockett knocked it out of the ball park with this book. again, i could not put it down...her storytelling is so real, so vivid and the vernacular is on spot...as i read i pictured each character in my mind and heard each voice...the help is soon going to be a 'major motion picture from dreamworks'...i HIGHLY recommend this book...it is simply put: wonderful...and if this gives you any idea who popular it is around these parts, i was number 900 something in line for it at the library!

if you've read any of these books, please chime in!

happy reading,
~k

5 comments:

Emily said...

WOW! You go! 28 books this year ALREADY!?!? You put my 1 book to shame. HA!

I can't believe that many people STILL go to the library....hmm I guess I need to get out more.

Sandy said...

I love The Help and Saving CeeCee Honeycutt was just so enjoyable! I laughed so much at some of the things she did. I love Southern fiction and I am going to check out that author you mentioned.

C.l.o.v.e.r. said...

Oh this post makes me even more excited for my library to finish their "updating"... their entire online system is down right now, so I can't add anything to my request list. But isn't the library the BEST?! I think I will add your recommendations to my list ASAP.
I am reading The Kite Runner right now...

Punchbugpug said...

I will add all those books to my Summer reading list!!!

Pam said...

I finished Sugar Queen about a week ago and I think I like Garden Spells better. I haven't started on the newest one yet. I did find The Help at the UBS the other day so it's on my list. I forgot to look for the Cee Cee one while I was there. I guess I'll have to go back....drats. lol!