Monday, April 12, 2010

call me crazy*...

...but i've got it in my head to start making some of the food items we use frequently in order to:
  • save money
  • reduce packaging waste
  • better control what goes into our food
on that note, please take the yogurt poll on the top over there on the left hand column...be on the lookout for more polls thru out this week...

do you make anything from scratch that most people buy commercially prepared at the grocery?

thanks!
~k

*as if you didn't already think i was ;-)

6 comments:

Sandy said...

This sounds interestings...yogurt is not something I'd try to make but I'd like to see it if you make it!

Pam said...

Re the yogurt poll: my boss used to make his own yogurt. I'm not sure if he still does or not. He's switched from that to drinking soy shakes.

It always sounded interesting though. I'd like to make bread more often but...*sigh* time. I'd also like to make fresh pasta but I've never done that before.

Swampgirl said...

I made yogurt all the time-but -it was during the 70's and I was more into making things from scratch! We had a yogurt maker and it was very easy and delicious! After the yogurt maker died I lost interest! I still eat yogurt almost everyday!

Punchbugpug said...

The only things I can recall making from scratch are bread and pickles. When my mom was alive she made all her own jams, pickles, relish, hot sauces, etc.

Emily said...

I said "are you crazy!" Just for fun! I wouldn't dare try though!

Um, I do make homemade biscuits from scratch... does that count! HA!

Page said...

i liked swampgirl's comment with a yogurt maker!! i'm not at all a kitchen person...about 2 or 3 times a year i start watching food network, get all inspired (because i think i have nearly every kitchen instrument necessary for anything) and begin cooking....this lasts about two weeks before i find that i really just prefer to eat lean cuisines. LOL! i say if you really enjoy it then go for it!! i can't wait to hear how it turns out! and how it's made!