Wednesday, March 24, 2010

i finished something!

not what i planned on working on over the weekend, but this chair has been an albatross around my neck since NOVEMBER! it was supposed to be part of the niece's christmas present...but i started spray painting it back in late november and then it turned way too cold to spray paint anything...plus i tried to take a short cut and didn't sand or prime it first...BIG...HUGE...MISTAKE (conveniently i have no pictures documenting this part, lol)!


it's from the great aunt's house...it's ugly...really, you can go ahead and say it cause it won't hurt my feelings...but i thought it was interesting and looked very 'girlie'...

and it's a high quality chair from a reputable furniture maker located here in north carolina (we are known for our furniture...did you know that?)



so....flash forward to mid march...and the husband decided he'd better step in and save the day (cause clearly i wasn't interested in fixing my mistake)! last week he stripped all the spray paint off, sanded and primed and painted with oil based paint to my specifications...and i worked on the upholstered cushion...i had ever so gently removed the old cover waaaaaaaaay back in november to use as a pattern and barely remembered how all the pieces were sewn together...after making loads piping (yikes, that was a first) and sewing the pieces together then using the husband's fancy staple gun, here's the result:



i think she's going to FLIP out!  overall i'm happy with it (the paint job is of course, fantastic...the husband could be a professional painter...for reals)...but the upholstery was really  hard...that double piping about killed me...and it's all pieced in the back around the chair back...GAH!

when we were finishing it up the handle got scratched up but i can touch that up

moral of this story: always look at stuff with rose colored glasses! even the ugliest of the ugly can turn out great...but upholstery is often better left to the professionals...or you may just end up in the mental institution...

i have four more projects i want to finish this week...raise your hand if you think that'll happen...hmm, i don't see any hands...

~k

36 comments:

Sandy said...

I LOOOVVVEEE THAT CHAIR! You did a great job. What a lucky girl. I hope she keeps it all her life! I think that chair has a great look even when it was ugly! You need to submit this to this web site www.betterafter.blogspot.com I'm going to submit my kitchen remodel when it's done.

Debbie said...

It turned out great! Having done reupholstery myself I can TRULY sympathize!

Pam said...

wow...that looks terrific. You have one lucky neice. Super super cute!

Swampgirl said...

That chair is so cute!!! Your upholstery looks fine! Love the fun fabric and color! Have you ever taken a class? I really loved the class I took and I learned so many tricks. I would like to do it again because the tools are all there to use and I got to leave my project there until I finished. I can't justify buying the big tools for the little projects I do!

D said...

I think I need a chair just like that!

Magnolia Sun said...

I love it and it looks so professional, just beautiful!

Random Musings Of My Life said...

OMG thats FABULOUS!! I LOVE IT!

kristie said...

sandy, i submitted it to that website. that's a GREAT site, thanks for telling me about it!

swampgirl, no i've never taken a class, not sure if they are offered around here. the husband has all manner of tools, i pulled everything off meticulously (to use as a pattern) with a screwdriver and pliers, then we used both the electric and pneumatic staple guns that he has to put the seat cover back on.

thanks everyone for the compliments!

Dee said...

What a fabulour chair, story and inspiration to get up off the duff and get stuff done!

You win the "Extreme Motivation" award from me for Friday Finish!

Congratulations on such an awesome chair!

Sarcastic Quilter said...

LOVE IT... I wish I could see changes like that when I look at things but I normally can't. Your post has inspired me not to give up on trying and maybe someday, making it happen.

nima said...

OMG...what an awesome finish...i love the fabric and great finishing too...that was an extreme make over...lovely.

visitng you from sew&tell

Nicole said...

I love this! I would never have seen that kind of potential in the chair. You are a genius! (So is your husband - nice paint job.)

Danielle said...

How fun is that? I love it!

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

I love the colors! You did an amazing job. I avoid piping at all costs so kudos for that, too!

I enjoyed reading about your cats. Our oldest is 21! And they both have at least two names:)

pinksuedeshoe said...

Wow, that is beautiful! I want it to come live in my house!

ezeldabeth said...

WOW! i have to say i love what you have done! i wish i had an eye for diamonds in the rough :)

ktquilts said...

Wowswers!!! Great turnaround!!! Love it now!!

Blessings,
KT

Mrs Moen said...

What an incredible makeover; I love what you both have done with the chair! Your niece is so lucky!

Leslie said...

that is a stunning transformation you should go and post this to or submit it to Better After blog...i can not believe what a little paint and fabric can do.

kristie said...

leslie, i did submit it to the better after blog but haven't heard from the yet...i'm not familiar with them, do they contact you if they are interested??

Sew It UP! said...

That is just Fantabulouse! I want it :o)
What a great finish and you really outdid yourself.

Karen said...

What a super dooper finish. It looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing the journey.

KQuiltyBee said...

Might have been a hassle, but you made really cool color/fabric choices. Great finish!

Rene' said...

You did a fabulous job with this chair!! I love the color and the fabrics. Thanks for sharing!

amylouwho said...

this is amazingly awesome!!!!

It's so great what a little paint and spunky fabric can do for an otherwise drab looking chair!

Brenda said...

Thank you for sharing! I love it! You did a graet job! The colors are wonderful!

gena said...

That is absolutely ADORABLE !!!! I love the color and the cushion - I'll bet your niece will too !

gena in nj
www.thehouseonlavenderhill.blogspot.com

Stevie said...

This is fabulous!!!

Sunshine and Shadows said...

You did such a great job on this chair - wow. I love the fabric you used.

sweetpicklesandchocolate said...

WOW! I love this chair project! I'll be featuring it tomorrow for Rave Reviews Wednesday at Sweet Pickles and Chocolate!
Please stop by and grab the rave reviews button!

Dena
Sweet Pickles and Chocolate

mishebe said...

super cute!

Anna See said...

this looks great! the upholstery would have killed me!

thriftytickle said...

Beautiful! I love the feminine shape of the chair and you really brought out the best in it!
thriftytickle.blogspot.com

Jan @ bobbypins boardwalk said...

Absolutely amazing. This chair is beautifully tailored, as well as striking in its colors and design. What a wonderful talent you have!

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Kristie, Your chair is a miraculous recovery of the beauty hiding under that terrible gold fabric and wood finish!
YOur neice should be thrilled! The new color and fabric is just perfect for the chair. Girly and flirty and just FUN!
Even though the piping almost killed you, it looks absolutely fabulous on that chair.
Kudos to you! This post is an inspiration and I have a little chair that needs my attention.
Yvonne

Anonymous said...

Where did you find such cute fabric?