Monday, January 4, 2010

winter decor for the new year

in the blink of an eye, christmas was over...it all seemed so rushed this year...i tried to have a low-key holiday but somehow we ended up having something to do nearly every saturday & sunday during the entire month of december...honestly it was all just a blurrrrr....and now it's a new year!

i spent the new year long weekend putting away all of my christmas decorations (that i felt like i'd just taken out) (mantown never even got decorated this year) and putting up 'winter decor'...i cannot stand how stark and naked the house looks after being all decked out for the month of december so i've started making and collecting things that are snowy and wintry to last thru january (when valentine's takes over)...

take the kitchen chandelier (above)...i swapped out the christmas balls and blown glass baker snowmen hanging from it during christmas with glittery red balls and glistening funky wooden birds and a snowman...i picked up 4 packs of snowflake gift tag hang-ons at t@rget after chrismtas for 50 cents a pack...one is perched up on the top of the chandelier....the rest are scattered all over the house...

my boss gave me this painted barn star a couple of years ago...i loved the concept but the colors were very dull...so this year i put it on the craft table and tackled it with all of my paints...i repainted the hat, the nose, the stripes on the scarf, the trees (and added the snow back on them) and then the entire snowman got a fresh coat of white paint because he was sort of beige (and looked like 'dirty' snow, if you know what i mean, wink wink)...i added new ribbon and hung it in the kitchen bay window...now i truly love it!

this crystal/beaded candle ring came from michaels (75% off)...i only bought one...i now realize i need 2...so i searched and found some similar on ebay and ordered them...they will hang as mini wreaths on the 2 small windows of the kitchen bay window...i think i'll leave them up thru valentines.

the snowman village stayed on top of the kitchen pie safe...a snowflake was added and a couple small trees moved from elsewhere...

this mitten pillow was another target post christmas purchase...i think it looks more 'wintry' than christmas

moving to the dining room...most everything in the dining room this christmas was more 'winter' anyways so a lot of things just stayed put:


i swapped out the green & red ornaments on the chandelier for all silver with a giant 'snowball' in the center and more of the target snowflakes hanging in the middle

below was my most favorite new thing this year:


i've been collecting these old fashioned looking ornaments for years...finally i found a large glass vase to display them in...i like it so much that it will be hard to put it away once winter is over!

so you decorate for winter? what sort of winter decorations do you have?

tomorrow: something the i've been wanting for my apron collection...

~k

7 comments:

Emily said...

I love your winter decor.. well I love all of your decor.

Sandy said...

Oh my goodness....everything looks great. I think you did a wonderful job on repainting the old barn star snowman thingy. And I just love the way you hang things on the chandeliers. I really like the glass vase with the small bulbs in it.

AM said...

Do you know how amazing your house and all of your decor is? You are truly a fantastic interior designer. Your style is phenomenal. I love love love it all. Especially the vintage ornaments and the new vase!

Pam said...

You have the best ideas! I feel the same way when I take down my Christmas stuff, everything just seems so boring. I don't have much of anything winter but was just thinking that I should stock up on some snowmen or something. Especially since everything is discounted now.
Great work on that star! Love it...and those mini wreaths are darling.

Punchbugpug said...

Seems the only thing missing is SNOW!

Swampgirl said...

I like the snowman/flake theme! I always hate my empty house when I put away Christmas! This year I am trying to organize my decorations better before they go in the attic. I think I'll make a snowman box so it will be easy to find them next year for January. I'm going to put out Valentines next week so I can enjoy them a whole month!

Gerry said...

I love all of your decorations. I especially love your dining room chandy. I think I will remove my shades and try to copy your idea. I also love your apron hanger with the colorful knobs. Guess I will have to take a trip to HL.

Swampgirl's Mom