Thursday, January 21, 2010

t-minus 39 minutes and counting....EDITED

i'm scared:
he'll say he isn't going to take them off yet
or
he will take them off and it will hurt (a lot)
or
a tooth will get yanked out in the process
or
my teeth will have rotted behind the brackets

pretty much i'm just petrified....

edited at 9pm: the upper braces came off and came off easily (the tech told me the ceramic brackets either pop right off or don't...luckily mine came right off)...i freaked out when the ortho had to sand the cement off...it hurt a bit (tooth sensitive type of hurt) and smelled horrific...

i go to the regular dentist tuesday to find out his opinion on the spaces for implants/crowns on the bottom arch...then i go to the ortho to get bottom wire only off on thursday morning, to the periodontist at 11am for gum realignment on the upper arch and 2 implants on the lower arch, then back to the ortho at 2pm to get the bottom wire replaced...at that point i have to wait 3 months for the implants to 'take' before crowns can be put on...depending on what the dentist (who is doing the crowns) says on tuesday it could be anywhere from 6 to 12 weeks before i get the bottom braces off....let's hope for the lesser of the 2! and hope that i have an easy recovery from the surgery on thursday ...i will be knocked out via iv sedation for the entire process.

i'll post pictures when the ortho has them up on their website...i just checked and they aren't there yet....

9 comments:

Sandy said...

Yea...hope they come off today! This is the easy part!

Pam said...

It doesn't hurt when they take the braces off. It feels amazing! I remember getting mine off and all I kept doing was running my tonque along my teeth.

Emily said...

will be thinking of you.. hope you come back with a good report!

Tammy said...

GAH! So what happened???!?!?!!

Shannon said...

Update?

Tammy said...

I'm tired just reading through that! I'm glad they came off easily. I remember the grinding of the cement too - it was weird. Good luck with the rest of the process. You'll need a vacation to recover after all that work!!

Pam said...

Oh Lord..I was reading your update and nearly passed out. The dentist office makes me nauseous anyway. I'm with Tammy...you will need a vacation after all that!

"M" said...

Yeah...can't wait to see! :)

Punchbugpug said...

Wow, you have a lot coming up! I know two different people who have had the implants. They both had no trouble at all.