Wednesday, January 6, 2010

scallops, please

it's a well known fact that i'm a procrastinator and like to start but never finish projects...so on december 30, 2009 i got a hankering to DO something from beginning to end...i found a neck scarf on etsy that i really liked...save for the price...so i googled around and found the.exact.same.pattern.for.FREE on the lion yarn website...i am an advanced crocheter and the project was listed as 'easy/beginner' so i felt confident...plus i had the yarn in my stash already (imagine that!)

i raced home and started my very own scalloped neck scarflette...and finished it by 8pm...only to decide that i thought the stitches were too loose (i am a very loose crocheter)...so i hemmed and hawed and then decided to rip the entire thing out and start over...we were watching a movie so i just ripped it right out and started over with a smaller hook...i was done before the movie was over...and i wore it on new year's eve...

the verdict? i LOVE it and want to make it in a bazillion different colors! and i just might!

i'm in the midst of a MAJOR year long declutter of the entire house...i'm giving myself a year...it was on my 'to-do' list for last year...but i ended up decluttering the great aunt's house instead...so i give myself partial credit since i at least decluttered a house...

the craft room isn't high on my priority list for decluttering...but it should be...it may very well be the worst room in the house...here is the ONLY neat area:
i got that nifty cabinet from great aunt's house...it housed about 4oo record albums...in fact it was made by lane furniture and was intended for albums...but i saw past that and had the husband hack saw out the album dividers...
the top holds my craft books and seasonal bric-a-brac...hanging above, please note the very cute portrait of tyler that punchy painted for me!

and the now divider free interior houses mailing supplies and candles...i had originally intended to strip and refinish this piece (great aunt had it 'antiqued' which was popular back in the 70s)...but i've since changed my mind...i think i'll leave it just like it is...

what would YOU have done with this cabinet if you'd found it when clearing out someone's house?

~k

6 comments:

Punchbugpug said...

The scarf is awesome! I love that it is for neck area! So, so, cool! I have honestly ripped many things apart also. You have to "get it right"!

The cabinet is great. It is nice to have a good "find". I probably would have also left it "antiqued". I HATE refinishing stuff. In my craft room I might have filled it with stacked fabric. Right now my fabric is folded in dresser drawers. By the time I get done with a sewing day I have fabric EVERYWHERE. It would be nice to have it all stacked up.

Sandy said...

I really like that scalloped neck collar you made..good work! I think the cabinet looks fine. You sure do know how to organize!

AM said...

Note to self: Do not send Girlville any candles.

Those scarflettes are SO DARN CUTE. Can you put them in your shop?

Pam said...

What a cute scarf pattern. I bet it looked great on you.

I hate having to rip projects out. Probably because I have to do it so much. ;)

you could totally sell those in your shop.

Goodboy Norman Featherstone said...

Love the scarf. I was hoping it was a knit pattern though.

calicodaisy said...

ooohhh! Forward me the scarf pattern? I made a couple scallopped long scarves that look similar. Love that green!