Wednesday, January 13, 2010

how i froze my butt off in DC:

at the CRACK of dawn sunday morning the husband & i along with a hoard of his co-workers trekked up to washington, DC...a work conference for them...fun time/anything to not go to work for me! we reached our fabulously located/one block from the white house/2 blocks from the smithsonian hotel at noonish and checked in (see above)...

our view sucked (see below)...
and it was all sorts of crazy cold (see the nasty still unmelted snow below):

the husband and his cohorts headed to 'class' while i bundled up and headed to the smithsonian...i was on a mission...on the walk i passed the prez...but i was in a hurry so didn't stop to chat:
i hadn't been to washington since i was maybe in fifth grade...i remember going to all the normal places one goes in DC but i knew that when i went way back then that julia child's kitchen wasn't at the museum of american history...ever since reading 'julie & julia' (when it first came out), then seeing the movie about a month ago, and being in the midst of currently reading 'my life in france' i was dying to see this exhibit and it didn't disappoint:

the kitchen is set up as exactly as it was in her house in cambridge, mass...her husband picked out the color scheme and hung all the pegboard that holds her cooking instruments:


i love this picture of 3 kitties hanging on a cabinet above the butcher block! in reading the books i learned that she liked cats

her cookbooks!!!! man, i SO wanted to be able to touch them...that 'joy of cooking' on the right was one of the first cookbooks that she owned...

the table and chairs came from norway, the final post for paul in his us service job...the chairs on the ends had 3 legs...weird...


my final conclusion: she had a lot of stuff and while her kitchen wasn't really messy, there was so much stuff that it looked really junky...i guess it takes that much stuff to cook in the french style...
the famous mortar and pestle...i forget how much she said it weighed, a lot i'm sure!

her cooking school badge (if you've seen the movie, amy adams character makes one and wears it while she is cooking) from where she taught in france with simca and louisette (her co-authors on volume I of 'mastering')

her cordon blue diploma


a first edition copy of her first book...

more DC tomorrow! i packed a lot into my brief trip...

~k

7 comments:

Leah said...

Awesome!! We read 'julie and julia' in our book club recently, and I would love to see the kitchen!

The coldest I have ever been in my whole entire life was about this time last year in DC. It was sooooo cold!

Pam said...

They had just put in that kitchen the last time I was there. I really wish I had seen it after reading My Life in France because I learned SO much more about her. I'm glad you took those photos. I forgot they had that mortar and pestle.

Sandy said...

That's so wonderful that you got to see her kitchen. I want to see that some day. Thanks for all the info and showing the photos. I really enjoyed that movie. I like to see Julia's more recent cooking shows on PBS. It was in that kitchen!

Emily said...

I have got to watch that movie. I had no idea that they had an exhibit set up for her. How cool!

Goodboy Norman Featherstone said...

That's really cool stuff. I don't know why she would really need all those pots and pans though. Are there really that many different types of pans that make such a difference in cooking? Maybe I'm just ignorant.

♥Lisa and The Pug Posse ♥ said...

I must go! that looks amazing what a great getaway!

C.l.o.v.e.r. said...

So cool that you got to see Julia's kitchen! I really liked that movie, but I haven't read the book yet. How are you liking "My Life in France"?