Friday, August 7, 2009

only the good die young...

with the recent passing of farrah and michael it seems like the icons that defined my youth are all up and leaving...but yesterday came a bigger blow:

John Hughes, Jr. (February 18, 1950 – August 6, 2009) was an American film director, producer and writer. He made some of the most successful comedy films of the 1980s and 1990s, including National Lampoon's Vacation; Ferris Bueller's Day Off; Weird Science; The Breakfast Club; Some Kind of Wonderful; Sixteen Candles; Pretty in Pink; Planes, Trains and Automobiles; Uncle Buck; Home Alone and its sequel Home Alone 2: Lost in New York. (from wikipedia)

high school WAS a john hughes film...i can vividly recall going to the theatre multiple times to see the 'fab five' hughes films:

the breakfast club ~ i wanted to be claire and have a secret crush on john bender...who didn't like someone who your parent's didn't want you to go out with??

some kind of wonderful ~ i was tempted to cut my hair like watts and i wanted to learn how to play drums

sixteen candles ~ i could watch this movie a million times and never grow tired of it...i even thought michael anthony hall was cute, but what girl wouldn't want jake to drive up in a red porshe and whisk her away?

pretty in pink ~ jon cryer will forever by duckie dale.

ferris bueller's day off ~ 'bueller, bueller'

a great writer and director, R.I.P john huges...

~k

3 comments:

Kelly O. said...

It is a shame. Those movies were iconic in themselves!

What colour did you paint your nails?

The Antiques Diva™ said...

I had no idea he died... these are all my favorite films. Popping in 16 candles still makes me want to laugh until I cry, and I can't go a week without quoting Ferris Bueller.

Pam said...

The previous weekend before his death they had a screening of Pretty in Pink and The Breakfast Club back to back at a small venue downtown. I was planning to go until I found it it didn't start until 9 and didn't let out until after 2 am. Um...no. Only a few years ago I would have gone without a second thought. I'm getting old.

But, yeah...great movies!!