Tuesday, July 28, 2009

more letters...

last nite we found an old large envelope in a cedar chest at the great aunt's house:





"official business" being:






much to my surprise, the letters were all neatly bound and in sequential order:


about 2" thick worth of letters she wrote to him...



1n 1945 while he was in the military...i forget which branch of service he served, but i think it was the air force...they were married in 1944 so shortly thereafter he left...


and she wrote to him frequently...including june 15, 1945 which happened to be her birthday:




each letter is several pages long...




i cannot wait to read them all!


so now i have letters HE sent her and letters SHE sent him...


i also found a fabulous vintage shadowline cotton voile summer robe:




yeah, i'll be wearing that one!


~k

7 comments:

Swampgirl said...

What a sweet story! If you write the "Great American Novel" based on these letters I'll be able to say "I knew her before....."

Sandy said...

Oh, that is so neat. I think I would just spend a Sunday afternoon and evening reading over those.

Punchbugpug said...

I love the letters!!! The robe is very 40's also! Maybe you should bring the letters and robe to meetup and at night read a few to us!

Amanda said...

I can't wait to read the novel you're going to write from these! They are so sweet.

Pam said...

Those letters are the coolest find. how sweet!

Random Musings Of My Life said...

So cool!!

DangAndBlast! said...

I found my grandparents' old letters from when he was at West Point 1941-1945... typed them up, made a two-volume book; it's fabulous, like reading a very slow love story where you know the ending. They're still around and were very appreciative.