Wednesday, March 4, 2009

baked chicken & rice with black beans

i found this recipe in the february issue of southern living magazine...it's the only magazine i get anymore as i find i don't have time to read them like i use too...plus i can find anything i want on the internet...which is why magazines are dropping like flies these days...people like me don't read them anymore...

anyways...i prepared 2 chicken/rice casseroles over the weekend...this one was made solely for dividing up and freezing as lunches for the week.

Ingredients
1 (10-oz.) package yellow rice mix
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped carrot
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups cubed cooked chicken
1 (15-oz.) can black beans, drained
1 (10-oz.) can diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained
2 cups (8 oz.) grated Monterey Jack cheese

Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare rice according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, sauté onion, bell pepper, and carrot in hot oil in a medium skillet over medium heat 10 minutes or until tender.
3. Combine hot cooked rice, onion mixture, chicken, beans, diced tomatoes and chiles, and 1 1/2 cups cheese in a large bowl. Spoon into a lightly greased 3-qt. or 13- x 9-inch baking dish; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
4. Bake, covered, at 350° for 30 minutes; uncover and bake 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
~ Southern Living, FEBRUARY 2009

rinsed black beans

cooked yellow saffron rice

red pepper (the husband doesn't like green peppers), carrots, onion, diced tomatoes with green chiles (ro-tel will work too)

sauteing the vegetables

browning the chicken

everything combined and baked until hot and bubbling

and divided into 8 lunches...in my new glass containers

i had some for lunch on monday...it was REALLY good...this recipe is a keeper

bon apetit!

~k

9 comments:

Magnolia Sun said...

I'm going have to try this one, love your new bowls too. I really should get glass ones too instead of plastic.

Amanda said...

Yum, sounds fabulous! I'll be writing this one down.

Sandy said...

that looks and sounds so good.

calicodaisy said...

MMMMmmmm! This looks great. I love yellow rice, too.

Pam said...

That sounds really good. I'll have to try that one out.

I dropped most of my magazines too. The only one I get now is Real Simple.

Mrs. D said...

Do those glass containers freeze well? I've always had a difficult time freezing in containers - the lids tend to pop off.

girlville said...

mrs d, so far the lids haven't popped off the glass containers when i froze them...i'll check them again tonite and let you know if they are still attached.

Page said...

Could you send some down here, please??? ;) I FEAR cooking chicken as I always overcook it or think it's not cooked enough. But, I guess I could substitute a rotisserie chicken from the supermarket, cause that recipe sounds delicious. BTW, how can the hubby taste the difference between red and green peppers? I have never been able to! LOL!

Amanda said...

I'm finally getting around to making this tonight! Can't wait for dinner!!!