Wednesday, February 25, 2009

weekend update ~ the daytripping edition

sorry so late...google & picassa have been giving me fits lately!



friday: grocery, made scrambled eggs with spinach for dinner...other than that i have no recollection



saturday: up and at 'em early...'M' and her sister arrived at 9am on the dot for our road trip...first stop:



HOBBY LOBBY!!!


we drove to greensboro as that's currently the closest HL to us...i was limited to ONE hour...which is like a punishment...that store is ginormous and there was so much to see...


easter fabrics



birthday fabric



probably wide leg lounge pants fabric




market tote fabric (will be available in etsy shop)




the metal star came from HL and will go outside in the spring...the 2 magazines came later in the day...



easter napkins, easterish ribbon, bias tape


i really really liked HL and plan on going back...a new one is being built a bit closer to me and will open in the spring...


so after my ONE hour limit at HL we headed across the way to:


i really don't know how to describe this store...it had a bit of EVERYthing in it...we got a new blue glazed birdbath as ours cracked this winter and i got (9) 2-cup glass bowls with lids to use for packing weekly lunches (part of my quest to get rid of plastics)

after garden ridge we met up with one of my co-worker's who works in a different branch than me...i've talked to her or emailed her almost daily for 6 years but we'd never met so she suggested since i'd be in her neck of the woods we have lunch together...


when we finished lunch we started back east towards home...our first stop was iron gate winery...we'd been there just about a year ago and since it was on the way home thought we'd stop in for a tasting...from there we headed to rock of ages winery...enjoyed a glass of wine while sitting by the fireplace and then continued our journey...(also, i got those 2 magazines for FREE at the wineries)


'M' and her sister decided cheesecake was in order to pair with one of their wines so we stopped at the mall to hit up cheesecake factory...i thought we were in a recession...the mall was JAM PACKED with people and they appeared to be shopping?!?! i got some makeup and the husband got a neat tie...the wait for a table at cheesecake factory was one and a half hours! so we got our cheesecake to go...


on the way home everyone decided they were hungry so we stopped here to eat...bonus points to anyone who remembers when i've been there before...


finally at nearly 9pm we arrived home and unpacked the car!


after getting ready for bed i HAD to taste the cheesecake:


vanilla bean cheesecake (it took me 2 days to eat it)


sunday: laundry, vacuuming, cleaning, finished another pair of wide leg lounge pants, watched a movie, made herb roasted pork tenderloin and roasted root veggies for dinner, did NOT watch the oscars...that's all i remember...i'm sure there was more...


~k

12 comments:

calicodaisy said...

Great loot! I love Garden Ridge, too. The first one they had waaaayyyy back in the 80s when I was in college in Texas was right outside Austin. I still have a few things from decorating my dorm back then. -- Michele

Pam said...

You got some great stuff on that trip! What a fun day. I really miss Garden Ridge. When I lived in Nashville, there was one really close by and I'd go there all the time. I think it has since closed though but there is one in KY that we go to occasionally.

Sandy said...

GIVE ME THAT CHEESECAKE!! I love the fabrics you got and Hobby Lobby is so fun to shop in. I never heard of Garden Ridge. Looks like a very nice weekend.

Amanda said...

And for bonus points, you've been there for bookclub! Right?

girlville said...

michele & pam - i'm surprised you've heard of garden ridge! i've never heard of it before.

sandy - the cheesecake picture was for your benefit only!

amanda - i think that you had a certain advantage...but i'll award you the bonus points anyways.

Kim said...

Hmm if you want something sell on Etsy, people like me are buying girls pillowcase dresses in the green paisley and blue paisley fabrics. I am not sure how much effort it takes to make them but I paid $10 each. The stripe would be super cute too.

Punchbugpug said...

One hour in Hobby Lobby???? Are they nuts? I've been twice and still not seen the entire store! LOL

That is the cheesecake I would pick if I was going. I'd like a piece right now.

Random Musings Of My Life said...

I love the fabrics!! Sounds like a very eventful weekend!

Swampgirl said...

Hobby Lobby has been my downfall! It is 4 minutes away -5 minutes with red lights! I go at least twice a week for one little thing and come out with a bag. I should try to get a part time job there with a discount!

Puglette said...

i really wish they had hobby lobby out west! and only an hour! how cruel! i love all the fabrics and especially the paisley for lounge pants. they are so easy to make and fun, i have made them for my daughter and hubby...i should make some for me!
hugs,
puglette

AM said...

Wow that cheesecake looks awesome. I've always wanted to make a cheesecake. Have you ever tried?

So happy that you got to go to Hobby Lobby! And an hour is NOT enough time to experience it. You need to take a trip near Christmas time to see all the fun christmasy stuff they have.

We had a Garden Ridge in Charlotte. Lots of fun stuff to see there.

Did you eat dinner?

Sounds like an awesome Saturday!

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised that you didn't stop at Old Time Pottery on your way home. Love Garden Ridge and HL but I like the HL on Eastchester (RT 68) north High Point better than the one near GR. Love the fabric you bought. HL has good sales.

Swamp's Mom