Tuesday, August 19, 2008

run, forrest, run

while i have no desire of becoming the next constantina tomescu-dita i have started ‘running’…let me explain:

about 3 years ago the husband and i were WAY into exercising and eating very very healthy (we put away a lot of protein shakes)…as a result we lost a lot of weight and got very fit and thin…perhaps even a bit too thin…then for 2 years in a row i faced minor health scares…i thought what was i killing myself exercising and eating healthy for only to be rewarded with that? so i flat out quit…excuses were rampant: it’s too hot to walk out side/it’s too cold to walk outside/i’d rather watch tv, read a book, take a nap/eat less healthy/drink lots of wine, etc. etc. etc.

and the weight slowly crept on…but i always thought – oh, i’ll just start exercising or eating less or whatever and it’ll be fine…besides, that’s what happens when you hit 40!…then the clothes started getting a bit tight…and in april the dr. said ‘you’ve been steadily putting on weight for the past 3 years’ oh really…as if i didn’t know!

so i earmarked august 1 as‘d’ day…diet day…exercise day…get back in shape day…and we both started back exercising and eating healthier…i started with walking 2 miles a day a minimum of 5 days a week (i take fridays off because, it’s friday and who wants to exercise on friday AND go to the grocery store and sometimes tuesday…if i take another day off i make up for it by walking on an ‘off’ day)…

some days the husband walks with me but most days he runs….running has NEVER been something i felt i could do…i tried it in college and it just didn’t happen…but i’ve always been told it’s a ‘learned sport’ not something that you either are born to do or not to do…one day last week while we were both walking i jogged across an intersection (which I typically do anyways) and then just kept running…i ran about 3 mailboxes! the husband nearly fainted! i thought ‘hey, i can do this’ my body just felt like it wanted to GO! walking was too slow (and believe me, i walk f.a.s.t)…so the past few evenings i’ve ‘upped the ante’ and set goals for running more and more…i run a bit (5 mailboxes maybe) then walk then run then walk…last nite i ran the most so far…which probably all told equals only about ½ a mile…but you know what: i DID it! and i think with time and effort and willpower i can do more…

i have no desire to ever run a marathon, a half marathon or even a 5k…if i get to the point where i can walk 1 mile, run 1 mile and walk 1 mile i will be very happy…i’ll keep you updated…

…the clothes are already starting to fit better…my next goal is to be able to wear some jeans that are currently too tight (by my standards) at the blog meet…so you and you and you and you and you hold me accountable, okay?

ps: did you SEE the women’s olympic marathon? a 38-year old woman blowing all those younger chicks away did my heart good!

~k

9 comments:

Punchbugpug said...

Good for you! Will we recognize the super athletic fit you????? Although honestly I thought you looked just fine!

Page said...

Ah, between you and AM, I am getting more motivated to workout! Do you walk/run in the morning or in the evening? I have such a hard time either way but am always trying to figure out the best way to do it. I did see that marathon and it was incredible! You could totally do it if you wanted!

AM said...

Great! I think the biggest help to you will be that you and your husband are doing this together.

I will never be a big runner either (well I guess you never no what the future holds, but I cant imagine running distances).

We are going to be HOT at the Meet Up!

Oh, and I always thought you were thin and havent noticed any weight gain in your pictures.

rpm said...

Go Girlville Go! I also think you look great!

Pam said...

Go you! I've tried to start a running routine for some time now and I always give up. I was just talking to someone a couple weeks ago who started running and she said that she started out running just a bit at a time. I think my problem is that I try to do too much at once.

Goodboy Norman Featherstone said...

That's super Kristie! Good for you. Running is SO HARD. I admit that I have given up on it. I just hate it. I still run on the elliptical, but run running is too much for me. I hate that pain in my side I get.

Wendy said...

That's really great:)

Magnolia Sun said...

Good for you, I've never been a runner either and I think I tell myself I can't run so therefore I don't even try.

Mrs. D said...

That's great! I wish I could run past just one mailbox...Ha! I am the queen of excuses when it comes to doing anything remotely linked to exercise. Maybe we can all figure out a way to motivate each other?