Friday, May 2, 2008

new 'pets' & some plants

last saturday nite while sitting around the fire after dusk we heard a critter in our squirrel 'munch box'...the husband went in and got the flashlight and we discovered this:


'it' comes everynite after dark...we think it's a flying squirrel and have named it rocky
meanwhile the herbs are doing spectacular...i've already harvested basil and oregano:




i planted this last weekend...do y'all know it is? i'm thinking maybe lamb's ear...

on the bird front our babies are getting ready to fledge...last nite the mom and dad were both in and out of the box a lot...

the husband caught mama bird in mid flight coming out of the box...she's the blur

here she is peeking out


and here is daddy checking on mama and the kids

have a great weekend! check back sunday nite...yes, i said sunday for a surprise...

~k

5 comments:

rpm said...

That is some good-looking snack mix for the birds/squirrels. I love watching the birds in your backyard. A surprise??? Can't wait to see what that's about.

Pam said...

I just love seeing the bird photos.

ooo, a surprise?

the husband said...

I know the pics of Rocky are crappy but it's the best I can do with a nocturnal animal. I had a flashlight in one hand and a camera in the other zoomed to 15x. I was less than 3 feet from the box on the 2nd pic but could never get the joker to look at me. Sunflower seeds are a delicacy to flying squirrels and he could not have cared less about me.

Swampgirl said...

Wow! That picture of the bird blurr is cool! And yes, that looks just like my lamb's ear.

Magnolia Sun said...

The plant looks like it's got some kind of fuzz on it. The birdhouse pics are great. Wish I wouldn't have enlarged pic of Rocky - he looks like a really long rat! Enjoy your weekend, oh the herbs look great too.