Friday, February 29, 2008

deep dish reading

last nite after work i went to hear mary kay andrews read from her just released book 'deep dish' at a local bookstore...the crowd was decent sized, they even had to bring in some more chairs...

she is SO funny! if you ever get a chance to hear her read go...i could listen to her all day long...her voice is very soothing...she's just a hoot...


here she is reading an excerpt from the book...she had just had her hair done by her hairstylist here in town...yes, she drives from atlanta back here to get her hair done...
she told us that when she was doing research for this book she went to savannah and watched foodnetwork film paula deen for a few days...she had interesting stories to tell about paula including how she chain smokes in between filming! according to MKA, paula's sons are gorgeous and paula is very very funny...
MKA is busy writing her next book 'the fixer upper' and it should be out about this time next year...one of the questions asked was will she ever revisit the characters bebe and weezie from the 'savannah blues' and 'savannah breeze' books and she said she thinks she might (my fingers are crossed)...also she said that she may write another christmas novella like 'blue christmas'...
i'm anxious to dive into 'deep dish'...however there are 2.5 books ahead of it...that's okay as i want to savor every bite of it knowing i won't get another MKA fix for a year...

MKA signs a book for a special someone...wink, wink...

happy weekend, y'all!

~k

8 comments:

Pam said...

She visited Savannah and observed Paula Deen for book research!? Oh my, I bet that book is good. I'll have to add that one to my list. Maybe we can read it together!

AM said...

Paula Deen chain smokes!!!!??? I audibly gasped when I read that. Highly dissapointed. Maybe I would have known that had I read her book, which I havent yet.

Ive never read any MKA books before. Maybe I should give one a try.

So excited for Sandy! That's such a special prize.

Page said...

I, too, was surprised when I read that Paula Deen chain smokes, but then it kinda makes sense when you hear her laugh...

Goodboy Norman Featherstone said...

That is a long way to get your hair done - LOL! Woman loves Paula Dean and is sad to hear that she is a chain smoker AND overweight. Woman fears for Paula's well-being. She agrees that the son's are hotties. She has seen them on TV too.

rpm said...

yea...I'm so excited to get my prize winnings and it's so special to have it signed by her. If she makes it near here, I'll be sure to go see her. I hope she does write more on the Savannah series. If I ever make it to Savannah again, I want to go check out her store at Tybee.

I did not know Paula D. smoked. I bet it was fun to watch them filming her show.

Mrs Nespy said...

I too am disappointed in Paula's smoking habits. I have to second that her sons are cuties...even more so in person than on TV (I've seen them downtown...I live in Savannah...in the store behind her/their restaurant).

Magnolia Sun said...

I can't wait to read the book, I just love her and I so hope she picks back up with the savannah series.

girlville said...

mrs nespy, you can see MKA read from 'deep dish' in savannah at the end of march (maybe paula will show up!):

Sat. Mar. 29: 3:30-5:30 p.m. E. Shaver Bookseller, 326 Bull St. Savannah, GA. 31402, 912-234-7257