Tuesday, February 26, 2008

inquiring mind...and wine...

after yesterday's post AM asked me about my wine habits...specifically she asked how many bottles we had...i told her i wasn't saying...she begged (not really):

"I want a picture please! Seriously! There is nothing wrong with having a lot of wine. Lots of people have wine rooms or storage. Do you guys have a special place or are they just scattered about? Seriously, do a wine post. Show how much you have, where you keep it, how your organize it, your favorite kinds etc."

i quickly estimated how many bottles i thought we had...'maybe 40' i told her...then i went home and got to searching and counting...we keep our wine in several locations:
last year the husband built us this wine cube...it holds lots of wine and sits on the floor in the den...he is responsible for organizing the wine and i think he puts reds in one slot, whites in one slot, dessert wines in one slot, etc...i just shove it in where ever it fits

i've had this wine rack since before we got married...it lives in the kitchen atop the pie safe and holds 8 bottles...more if you just stack them underneath (see the 3 bottles laying there?)...please pay no attention to the naked charlie brown tree...it's awaiting easter eggs...


the current bottle of red we are drinking or thinking of drinking sits on the kitchen counter in a mexican pewter wine holder thingie...this bottle is not opened...but probably will be soon


whites that we are drinking or might drink in the near future stay in the fridge...here is a bottle of something in the built in wine holder thingie

and there are 2 more bottles in the fridge door...the bottle with foil is sparkling apple cider...no comments on how much whipped cream i have, please...

so that is how we store our wines...AND i counted...we have exactly 40 bottles right now (i'm a good guesser)...as i said, the husband organizes the wines...i know that he writes the date we purchased it on the back label...don't ask me why, cause i don't really know...it's not like it stays around long enough to go bad...

as for my favorite kinds...since it's winter i am liking reds...the dryer the better...so i am drinking merlot, cabernet sauvignon, etc....in the summer i lean more towards whites and like them crisp, fruity and really cold save for i prefer chardonnays that are very oaky.

we are going on another wine expedition in late march so i'll have more tales of north carolina wineries...we are going to visit some of the same ones from last fall and some new ones.

now, it's my turn to ask questions...what wines do y'all like? how many bottles do you have right now? how do you store them?

~k

9 comments:

Magnolia Sun said...

I have two bottles unopened and a bottle in the frig. We have a wine rack in our bakers rack, of course it's in storage now so I have the wine on top of the frig. I only like white wines and they must be very dry. I don't really know anything about them so if you have a favorite dry white wine please share.

AM said...

I loved the wine box Jason and his dad made for our old house. In our new house, there are a few places we could do something simliar. We have lots of built in shelves in the dining room, and a few other places that would be appropriate for some sort of wine storage/bar area. We'll see what happens over time. Right now? Just a counter wine rack that holds 3 or 4 bottle. Of which I think only 1 is full and the others are just decoration (empty).

Traditionally I've always liked reds, somewhat sweet. But I like dessert wines too. I think I will try out whites this summer.

Page said...

oohhh, i'm so glad to know another wine nut like me!! i'm going to go home for lunch, count them, and repost!

Pam said...

I prefer chardonnays when we purchase wine, which is randomly. I'm like you in respect to wanting reds more in the colder months and whites in the warmer. We usually don't keep any in the house storage-wise though.
I like hearing about your wine adventures. I really don't know a lot of wine in general so it's been a great learning experience. I think it's just because we rarely get out like you guys do and sample different ones.
Maybe you could do a wine of the week or month suggestion/or review?!

mrandmrsd said...

We have about 4-5 unopened bottles of wine and 2 in the fridge.

Question - are you supposed to only refrigerate white wine? I have a bottle of red in the refrigerator right now because I love cold, red wine. Is that bad for it or just a preference thing?

girlville said...

mrsd: i think it's a preference thing. at one of the wineries on saturday the hostess told us that one of the reds we were tasting could be served chilled. i know that a lot of Beaujolais Nouveau can be served chilled. no matter if it's 'right or wrong' if you like it cold i say that's fine!

Page said...

Okay, I counted! 31 total bottles. We have a metal holder in our house that holds 50 and then a small one in the corner that holds six. My favorite is Pinot Noir and I prefer reds over whites and whites over blush. But, like you, I do tend to drink more red in the winter and white in the summer. My husband and I actually went to Napa Valley for our honeymoon and now we just realized we've got to hurry up and drink those whites we bought before they go bad! (If they haven't already....oops!) Question for you: How long have you kept a wine bottle before opening it, or what is the oldest bottle you have??

the husband said...

page - the answer to your question is exactly why I write the purchase date on the bottom of the bottles with a Sharpie (even thought K thinks it's silly). Just a few weeks ago, we drank a Reserve Chard we bought in January 2007. Without actually doing research, I'd say the oldest bottle we currently have is between 6 and 8 months old.

Punchbugpug said...

My grandfather used to make wine. When we moved in there were about 300 bottles in the basement..all fermented like vinegar. My grandmother liked to pour it over her aches and pains....gah. Being the planet friendly person I am, I emptied all the contents, washed the bottles and put them in recycling. What a chore. P doesn't drink wine. Right now there is a bottle of white zin in the fridge. A bottle of Mateus and a bottle of Red Cat in the booze area...I think also some weird Italian wine in cupboard too.