Tuesday, June 19, 2007

wednesday house tour

the house tour continues today in the master bedroom closets...these closets were just a mess when we moved in and not very functional...when we 'redid' the room (paint, hardwood floors, removed chair rail moldings) we also redid the closets...i decided to paint them red like the room although closets are often white...i wanted my closet to be an extension of the room itself...

here is the inside of the door into my closet with a zebra hook that hold all of my belts...which i rarely wear...



although both closets are labeled 'walk-in' they really aren't the classic walk in closet. one wall of each is flush with the door so there is no way any clothes can hang on them...thus i dubbed them 'pseudo walk-ins'...the useless wall in mine i covered in pictures ...


this is looking straight into my closet...my closet is wider than the husband's so i decided to put a little chest of drawers in there to hold some clothes...before we redid the closets they both had rods on the back walls as well as the one side...this chest of drawers came from my cousin who got it at a yard sale for $20...it looked like awful before i got ahold of it...i had the husband paint it black and white striped and ordered vintage like green glass knobs and handles for it...i LOVE it!

while we were redoing my closet the husband had to do a lot of work on the walls...when he was spackling them his assistant, sophie, had to give them her 'stamp' of approval...i loved it so much i made him leave it there and paint over it...unfortunately it's hidden behind the chest of drawers...if we ever move, i'm cutting it out of the wall and taking it with me...



because i love chandeliers, i found a little one at lowes for my closet...the husband designed and built all of the natural wood shelving you see in both of our closets...



the following pictures are of the 'useful' side of the closet from top to bottom...



i keep the majority of my shoes in plastic bins and the husband made labels for them...i've got more shoes now than boxes though...i guess that means it's time to get rid of some...the bin to the left on the shelf is a larger one that has all of my flip flops in it...


ok, now to the husband's closet

his closet is very similar to mine save for it has a window in it and since it's narrower there really wasn't space for a piece of furniture...so he gets to have the laundry bin in his!

and he chose a simpler light fixture...


the layout of his closet is pretty much the same as mine: center tower of shelves with single rod on one side and double rod on the other...

he keeps all of his shoes (and hats) on a wooden shoe rack...
well that's the end of the second floor of our house...next week we will go to the third floor to visit 'mantown'...assuming it's clean...

~k

7 comments:

Goodboy Norman Featherstone said...

Holy Cow! Those are some awesome closets! Great chandelier too!

Magnolia Sun said...

Wow he did a really great job it looks custom made - which I guess it is. The closets looks really big in the pictures. Thats a good idea to put flip flops in one container, mine start out nice but after a few weeks they are all over my shoe racks. That's nice your husband has a window in his closet too. Good job husband!

AM said...

WOW! I am speechless. I am also jealous. I am going to spend all weekend reorganizing our closet (which is maybe 1/3 the size of yours?). I love the idea of a chandalier in there! SO COOL! And the pictures! There's a little pug in one of the pictures!!! :)

Love what you did with that dresser. I noticed the glass nobs right away. Very nice.

Definetly an inspiring post...

rpm said...

Can I come live in your closet? That is the best closet I've ever seen! I love the striped furniture and the light fixture. If you ever sell your house, that would be such a good selling feature, a beautiful closet! You are so lucky to have a husband who is very neat with his things! Sofie is such a hard worker and that should be her signature on all her work.

Lola's *mom* said...

I like that you painted not only walls red but the ceilings too. Most people just leave those white.

And all those shoes...wow! I'm jealous!

Pam said...

Ok, the pawprint is simply adorable! I'd cut it out too if I were to move. I really like the light fixture in your closet!

***Willow&Belle's Mom*** said...

OMG you don;t want to see my closest! you thing you can come assist me in getting mine looking like yours!