Saturday, June 23, 2007

birthday weekend extravaganza ~ part I, scene 2

here's the rundown of my birthday weekend no. 1 so far:

friday we cut out of work early for no reason other than we both wanted to be anywhere but work! i needed some memory for the new camera so we stopped and got a memory stick on the way home....sophie has been my gracious model as i try to figure out what this baby can do (and i'm far from figuring it out!)

after our weekly friday nite trip to the grocery store we had a trader joe's pizza and a bottle of wine...it started raining so we scrapped any other plans for the evening...while i was watching clinton & stacy with kady there came a ruckus with all sorts of sirens and whatnot outside...i looked out the window and a firetruck was barreling down the street and stopped about 2 doors down...then a ladder truck...then the ems stopped IN FRONT of OUR house!!! the neighbors thought it was for us! none of the emergency personnel stayed around too long...and we have no idea what the problem was...just another exciting friday nite in the 'hood...


today i had another 'one stroke painting' class at michael's...i was the only student so i got lots of attention! i also used three 40% off coupons that were expiring today for a pack of 12x16 canvases (for future classes), a brush caddy and the tutorial packet for today's class (optional)...i also found a bunch of cool stuff on the $1 rack...
have i mentioned that i LOVE ribbon?
here's my painting from today's 'one on one 'class...i'm pretty satisfied with it, there are a few things i'm going to touch up...next month i'm going to take a landscape class...the teacher i have had for my two lessons is very good so i'm going to stick with her classes only.
after class i finished up another tutu for the niece...i am working on perfecting my 'pattern' and i'm very pleased with this one...i think the peach color will look great with her red hair.
for dinner tonite we had fresh mixed greens with strawberries, blueberries and goat cheese and a frozen pasta dish from trader joe's...i added fresh basil to the pasta and a cracker with paprika goat cheese on the side...
after dinner we experimented with the new camera...these squirrel pictures were taken from inside the house...we have a 'munch box' on a tree by the deck for them...this picture the husband took...

i took this one...i love how i got the background to blur out...i have no idea how i did this though...
powerwashing also occurred today...this is my herb container garden on the side of the house...note the nice and bright sidewalk! from left to right: lavender (it's blooming!) and chocolate mint, thyme and sage, basil and purple basil...
garden art...
~k

5 comments:

Pam said...

I absolutely LOVE your painting! It's great. I didn't realize you had a ribbon obsession...you should see my stash, it's nearly as bad as my yarn totes. I have a "ribbon cart." lol! My friends make fun of me.
How's the "eat, pray, love" book you're reading? I purchased that one ahwile back but it keeps getting pushed to the bottom of my stack. I'm anxious to hear what you think.

girlville said...

pam, yes i love ribbon and i put it on anything i'm giving away; hence i really like wrapping gifts. i don't have a cart though, please post a picture of yours cause i'd really like to see it. 'eat, love, pray' is outstanding...seriously it's maybe the best book i've read this year. it's in 3 parts and i just finished part 1 this morning. it's not fiction...i guess you knew that already.

rpm said...

I, too, love your painting. It makes me want to go take a class. That ribbon is so pretty. Your dinner is looking good, as usual. I love the little squirrel...maybe you used the portrait setting to get the background to blur out? Do you use regular batteries in that camera or is it a flat, lightweight battery that is rechargable? Sofie is so pretty, if humans could have those eyes!!!

Pam said...

Good to know about the book. I think they reviewed it on the Today Show one morning and gave it good marks. I might have to read that one next ;).

AM said...

I love the ribbon you got. THe $1 bins at Michaels can really have some great finds! Lots of cute stationery usually. And I love those squirrel shots!

I think your palm tree picture needs a dolphin!