Monday, May 14, 2007

weekend update

i never got all of the flowers from home depot planted on saturday because it rained and rained and stormed...so yesterday morning i awoke with a LOT of things on my plate!

for starters i made black bean and couscous salad for our lunches this week and a pan of brownies...i was too lazy to find the recipe for the salad so i forgot the cilantro and lime juice...oh well, it will still be good!
we decided to make our mother's day gifts this year...i forgot to take a picture of the husband's mother's canvas, but here is the one i did for my mother...


the husband made them each a wine bottle cork topper and wine bottle charm...i forgot to take pictures but will later of some others he has made...i got a lot done on the craft front this weekend: the tulle skirt for niece, 2 canvases for mother's, finished 2 plant stakes and started 2 more...the husband made the wine bottle things, cut out a bazillion plant stakes and started the base for a padded headboard for 'M' and made a table for girlville for me which i have to cover with fabric...there will be a trip to the fabric store tonite!

later on sunday when it warmed up a bit (a cold front came thru with saturday's storms) i planted about half of the flowers...here is the pot on the front porch with a couple of my new plant stakes...

later in the afternoon we went and visited both mothers to take them their gifts. when we returned home i cooked a pizza and we ate al fresco on our little cafe table on the side patio. i would have taken a picture but the table is in such desperate need of paint i was too embarrassed to show it! maybe in another couple of weeks i'll have the side yard looking good enough for photographs! i desperately needed to iron clothes but put it off for another day...i managed to watch 'desperate housewives' and 'brothers and sisters' before crashing from sheer exhaustion. it was a super busy day!

~k

7 comments:

rpm said...

Wow, you sure get a lot done on the weekend! I love that painting...I can't wait to get mine! That salad looks yummy and I like the pottery bowl that it's in. Is that rosemary growing in the pot?? I have a container on my porch I need to plant and it's so hot here that I am thinking of getting some succulents to put in it because I sure have a hard time keeping anything alive in the container that is not a cactus! Thank you for my birthday comment! It was a fun weekend.

girlville said...

rpm, we were very tired last nite from all that we accomplished over the weekend! the pottery bowl came from seagroves, nc where we went a few weekends ago. i have TONS of them...you need to come up here and get some! yep, i put rosemary in the front pot just for kicks. i have a HUGE bush at the kitchen door for culinary use. i would get cacti/succulent plants for my pots if they would grow here in our climate but hey won't in my rain forest like yard.

AM said...

Black beans and couscous are a staple in our house! That salad looks great! Email me the recipe please?

I am going to take a picture (one day) of our guest bed headboard. It's old and ugly (Jason's growing up) and maybe you will have some ideas on what to do with it instead of throwing it/giving it away.

Soon I will do that.

girlville said...

am, if you click on the recipe name it takes you to the link...you may wish to substitute water or vegetable broth for the chicken broth to make the couscous to make it totally vegetarian.

send the picture of the headboard!!

Pam said...

I'm always amazed at how much you get accomplished on the weekends.

I'd really like to know how you are making the headboard. I need to make one for our guest room and I'm tossing various ideas around. Would like to get your thoughts.

girlville said...

hey pam, i'll do a headboard tutorial when we make 'M' hers this weekend and post it sunday or monday, ok?

Pam said...

that would be great!