Friday, April 6, 2007

answers to questions...

today is a holiday for the husband and i. we took advantage of the situation and slept late, read the paper in bed and watch the 'ellen' show before getting up. he's now at his parent's house helping out with some things and i'm in housekeeping mode. the kitchen was a disaster zone after the bunny making! i cleaned out the fridge and planned dinners thru the weekend as we will be taking our friday trip to the market tonite. i've got tons of laundry, vacuuming, dusting, ironing to do today and also plan on working in a bit of crafting as i've been ignoring the craft front lately.

anyhoo...here are some comments on YOUR comments on the bunny cookies:

lola's *mom* asked what i was doing with the cookies...well i sent 3 to work with the husband (one for him, one for 'M' and one for his assistant) and took the rest to my office. although i didn't think they were very good they ate all but one (i took it home, had i left it it would have been eaten) cause those guys pretty much will eat anything!

rpm suggested making the cookies one day and decorating them the next...that actually was my original plan but it just didn't work out. however, i'm going to do that today with the second batch i'm making to give to my niece/nephews at church on sunday. hopefully i won't get as burned out. and i LOVE the idea of buying some from a good bakery and decorating them myself!

pugalicious says she doesn't eat cookies...i think that is a good idea! if only i had the willpower...

and some comments on YOUR comments on wednesday house tour:

AM ~ the bookcase is not made from old kitchen cabinets, it's made from new cabinets that i just 'created' with the help of the guy who sells them. they are sort of sold in 'pieces parts' and we just chose stuff that i wanted like beadboard back, crown molding, bun feet, etc. the basic construction of them is just 2 tall plain cabinets with move able shelves. that being said i totally think you should consider saving the old cabinets you will rip out of the kitchen. there are tons of things you could do with them including putting a couple of them together to make a bookcase even if it wasn't as tall as mine. then you just add crown to tie them together and bun feet! oh and the pattern on the little wooden chair from goodwill's seat cushion is bugs. i am a fabric fiend!

pugalicious commented that the husband is talented also...YES he is. i come up with wacky stuff and he makes my ideas come to fruition. he is amazingly talented in woodworking and everything else. i am very lucky to have someone make my ideas come alive!

rpm said i should hire myself out to help people with their things...well, i don't like imposing my ideas on others..i actually applied to interior design school for college and was accepted but changed my mind in the end. i do help my friends and family though! also she commented on my artwork...i LOVE art in general. lots of my stuff is simply posters that i get framed very professionally (which unfortunately doesn't come cheap, although i do go to a discount framer so maybe it is cheaper than a high end framer) or my art is stuff i buy from art fairs and on vacations. i also often get really nice postcards from cities i visit and have them framed. unfortunately i am running out of wall space though!

lola's *mom* asked who did my reupholstering...i have a professional do it. i did recover a chair for my SIL once and it's difficult (not impossible) and i'd just as soon pay someone else to do it. yes, it is expensive but there are alternatives such as finding an upholstering school and letting the students there do it.

many of you commented on buying old things at yard sales, goodwill, etc. yes, this is my preferred place to get stuff. for one i feel like i'm recycling (the husband and i are big recyclers) and also i get very overwhelmed in a furniture store. i also like to put my special touch on things. it takes a certain eye to look at what is literally a piece of junk and see the possibilities it holds. but if you practice you too can get the hang of it! sometimes i buy something that i simply like (shape, size, whatever) but it takes me awhile to decide just what to do with it. it's a fun process to me and i hope that i can inspire some of y'all to see the potential in something someone else no longer wanted!

sorry no pictures today...maybe tomorrow...

~k

6 comments:

***Willow&Belle's Mom*** said...

Sounds like a nice relaxing day for you and your Husband...Enjoy it! I like Ellen too!

rpm said...

Thanks for commening on those questions. I thought you have a decorating gene in you! I was reading an article in some magazine recently...maybe Domino...about what decorates charge...and it was p-r-i-c-e-y! I never knew because I've never used one and was curious. Upfront fees and then per hour and then percentage of the price of items bought for the customer. Wow! It would be fun to get you to do a room for each of us (your blog friends)!

AM said...

Yes! I second Sandy's idea! DO a room for each of us! :)

Thanks for answering all the questions. I kept checking back to see if you would. :)

Pam said...

I think you'd make a fabulous interior designer! I, too, love that you guys go and find old things and make them new. That is a skill that I wish I had but I truely believe you must have an "eye" and that..I just don't have. I think that is what frustrates me the most is that I have quite a bit of space to decorate yet, I am totally clueless. Wished you lived closer! lol! ;)

Pugalicious said...

Thats cool you had Friday off, I wish I had.. Have a great Easter!

Magnolia Sun said...

I'm with Pam I think you really have to have an "eye" for seeing things and also have to be very creative which of course you are. I don't even have the patience to look through sales racks half the time!

I like Sandy's idea too, whenever I get my house you will be the first to know!